Sunday, July 11, 2010

Warming up the Bench!

The best way to make something happen in your life is to make other plans.

Like, for example, maybe you get a fun idea for a really silly blog regarding a topic that you know next to nothing about. You set to with a will, going gangbusters for a good couple of months, impressing no one less than yourself with your sparkling wit and consistent work ethic. And then, just as your job gets busier for the tourist season, you get cast in not one but two plays (neither of which you will earn any money for doing, mind you) so you're never home to spend time with your husband and when you are you fight because the house is a mess and you start to suffer anxiety attacks because you haven't had a real day off in over ten weeks. Just as a for instance, you understand.

On the plus side, the children's play will sell out the theatre.

What I'm saying is, I've been busy. The timing was actually pretty good because it's still the preseason, so there hasn't been a lot to talk about in the football world. I have been spending lots of time on the bus, reading up on Pete Rozelle and Howard Cosell and Howie Mandel and the 2004 Ravens (except for Howie Mandel—I just threw that in for scansion), and I could have written book reports, I guess, but as much as I enjoy increasing my nerd factor I think I'm done with looking backwards here at the Bench. I don't regret the break; I needed it and the players needed it. I don't know anything about you, but I'm going to say you probably needed it too.

I hope you're all rested up because pretty soon things are going to get busy. The various teams are going to be starting training camp by the end of this month and kicking off the preseason on August 12, which gives me exactly one month to figure out how I'm going to afford an NFL cable package. But that doesn't mean that we, the fans, have a month to rest.

Our season begins tonight. And it's all thanks to Chad Ochocinco.

No comments:

Post a Comment